In my last post I listed a few important lessons that I’d learnt or been reminded of during this last year, 2013.
As today is the last day of the year I thought I would look forward into the unknown & write down some personal hopes.
I am not good at New Year’s Resolutions as the temptation is to feel a sense of failure or giving up the first time we break one & with my current memory I’d probably forget what I’d resolved anyway! So, I thought I would write a reminder list here of my hopes for the coming year. It’s a sort of “Try to apply the lessons I’ve learnt in 2013” though anyone with a business background will probably see them as a list of SMART objectives or goal setting.
So here are my 20 hopes for the coming year (& hopefully beyond):
- My words & my actions will more consistently be the same
- I will spend more time appreciating & understanding my friends & others
- I will be quicker to listen & slower to speak
- I will rely on God more
- I will realise what I have rather than what I lack
- I will be more forgiving & persistent in my relationships with those I know & with those I don’t
- I will be able to make people smile
- I will smile more myself
- I will set higher standards myself than I will set for others
- People will be encouraged through their interactions with me (personally, family & business)
- I will aim for integrity rather than popularity in everything I do
- I will be able to enjoy life again
- I will be able to use where I have been & what I have experienced to benefit others & maintain their dignity
- I will realise that I have a purpose & see more of what that purpose is
- I will, in the words of my sales &marketing friends, “Under-promise & over-deliver” (see, I do remember what you say 🙂 )
- I will be more patient with others & myself
- Love will be more evident in my whole life, not just the easy parts
- I will continue to learn & understand the importance of unconditional love
- My home will be somewhere people feel safe & accepted
- I will judge less on what I see or hear & more on what I know.
People often describe me as ‘over thinking‘ or ‘thinking too much‘ & throughout my present illness that has been as counterproductive as it has productive. However, I hope that perhaps one or two of my personal thoughts & hopes will inspire you in some way.
As it has been said many times before, “I cannot always affect what others say or do to me, but I can change how I react to them” & for me, therein lies the secret of making a positive difference.
I wish you all a safe, productive & fulfilling 2014.
Until next year … 🙂